Saturday, February 13, 2016

Day +75

Wow. I am running out of insights and things to report. Which is kind of awesome, in a way, right? I love weeks with no drama. As we hoped, Claire's platelets have finally recovered from her unexplained fevers and hospital stay and are now up to a respectable, if still low, 121. She started Dasatinib last night and I had a hard time falling asleep for fear she would have another fever, but she didn't. I hate to say it out loud because I don't want to jinx it, but it seems like she has turned a corner. She is starting to eat again, and she is HUNGRY. She's also gained a few more pounds. (How would it be to have people be excited about that? I wouldn't know, but it certainly gives me perspective.) She hasn't been reading because, you know, chemo brain. But this week she decided she wants to reread all of the Harry Potter books, and she's almost done with the second one. She started and finished a puzzle. And for the first time since she relapsed in July she actually drove the car. It was just a few blocks, from the library to our house, and it was a little awkward because her feet don't flex very well. But I thought it was a very big and very important step toward 19 year old normalcy. Oh, and we snuck her up to Logan this afternoon to visit our son and daughter-in-law. Technically it was probably a little too far away from the hospital for her to go, but she was so excited to go somewhere! Especially since we are experiencing horrible air quality here in Salt Lake City due to our infamous inversion and going outside isn't the best thing for her. (There were blue skies today in Logan!) But she really had fun, so it was worth it. Now that I am writing this I am realizing that I actually do have things to report. Good things. And for that I am very, very grateful.



                          These two love a good puzzle.


                      Playing Extreme Candyland. It was hilarious!


       Two of our amazing nurses enjoying the cupcakes we brought into clinic for Valentine's Day. I guess we should have brought wet wipes ;)

Cuddling with the fattest cat in the world. (Don't talk to me about kitty diets. Believe me, we've tried.) Its like sleeping with a tiger. A very slow tiger who loves popcorn.



5 comments:

  1. Great news! Prayers and love continue for Claire and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear every update you do on Claire. Thank you for sharing. I am still struggling to get my platelets past 70, but I have learned to be patient. Claires victories give me hope and encouragement. Thank you Mary for doing this blog. You are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is the key, isn't it? And Blaine, I absolutely loved seeing your friends welcome you home to Alaska!

      Delete
  3. so happy with the good news and I would love to hear the rules of extreme candyland xoxo

    ReplyDelete